Friday

No Two Snowflakes

Fitch, S. (2001) No two snowflakes. Victoria, BC: Orca Book Publishers.

Author:
Sheree Fitch

Illustrator:
Janet Wilson

Summary:
The narrator of the poetic story is explaining to his pen pal in Africa what snow is. Now there is not just one type of snow. In great detail, different types of snow and the feelings and activities that he associates with them. The beautiful pastel images are compliment by the child like drawing next to the words helps to tie the poems to the child.

Response and Reaction:
I felt slightly mislead by this book. The picture on the cover depicted a Caucasian boy and an African girl, I thought that this was going to be a book about embracing differences. Instead it was a book about snow. It was a beautifully written book that made me want to go out and find some snow, but I was a little disappoint that it did not have a deeper message.

Format:
Juvenile Poetry

Age Range:
4-8 years old

Themes:
Poetry, weather, individuality, snow

Awards:
Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz Children's Book Award (NOMINATED) 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment